If you are receiving a 1099 G – Unemployment compensation or any other income documents that are not applicable to yourself, you might be impacted by identity theft.

You should contact

  1. The payer or entity that released the 1099 G or other income form to issue a corrected one so you do not have to pay taxes on money that you never got
  2. The IRS (info below) to raise this issue so the IRS  can create an IP PIN to avoid anyone filing on your behalf
    1. Note that you do not need to file a Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit, with the IRS reporting an incorrect Form 1099-G. The identity theft affidavit is used only if the taxpayer’s e-filed return is rejected because a return using the same Social Security number already has been filed.

The IRS has specific instructions for this kind of fraud and forms that you have to fill out if you have been subject to identity theft.

Link IRS – Fraud 1099 G – https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-offers-guidance-to-taxpayers-on-identity-theft-involving-unemployment-benefits

Link Article WCPO 9 ABC – https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/dont-waste-your-money/people-getting-mystery-1099-tax-forms-for-unemployment-benefits