In the IRS Tax Tip 2022-77, the IRS lists some of the tax changes that might occur when a couple gets married.

  1. Change on the filing status – married filing jointly or separately (previously single, head of household, or widower) – The tax brackets and standard deduction change
    1. You might want to consider changing / updating the withholdings
  2. Change in your name – Contact the Social Security Administration asap to avoid delays in filings- File form SS-5
  3. Change in your address – File Form 8822 – Change of address so no notices or other important communications are missed

This list is just a starting point, but there might be additional opportunities for tax planning depending on your case.